Foster parents are a vital part of our work. Every animal that you foster is given a second chance at life – and the more animals you foster, the more lives you help save.
Many of the animals that come into the SPCA Auckland Animal Village need a little extra TLC before finding their new forever home. Foster Parents provide a temporary home for these animals as they recover from surgery or illness, or simply put on a little more weight before being desexed.
While each animal is different, the average length of stay is 3 – 5 weeks for cats, and 6 weeks for dogs. Once they are ready, the animals come back to the Animal Village and are put up for adoption.
To be a Foster Parent you need to:
• have your own transport so you can pick up the animals and bring them in if they need to visit our vet
• have a secure area to keep them safe and contained and away from any pets that you have at home. For cats, this could be a spare bedroom, a laundry or a bathroom. Dogs need a fully fenced property with good shelter.
• Keep foster cats and kittens indoors at all times.
We understand that looking after an animal can be a big undertaking, and we want to make it as easy as possible. Hill's Pet Nutrition
is our major sponsor and they generously supply the Hill's Science Diet food for animals both here in the Village, and animals that are being fostered.We also supply litter, litter trays, bedding, toys, bowls, and anything that we have on hand to make the animals comfortable while they are staying in your home.
First-time Foster Parents receive training, and our friendly Foster Team are just a phone call away if you have questions or concerns. Our on-site vets provide medical care and medication when required.
Being a Foster Parent is a wonderful experience that gives you the opportunity to meet and help many wonderful animals waiting for their second chance.> Download a foster application form
Once you have completed the application form, please send it to one of our Foster Co-ordinators - if you have any questions you can contact us:
- By phone on: 09 256 2525
- Email: Fostering@spca.org.nz
- Post: Foster Department, SPCA Auckland, PO Box 43221, Mangere, Auckland 2022